Crunchbase is another good example of Structural SEO. However, there are still a lot of room for improvement.
Crunchbase’s structural SEO on the category level
To implement structural SEO, they created 3 types of pages that bring in the most of their organic traffic:
- Organization – page: profile pages for startups, VC, financial institutes.
- Person – page: Investor and founders
- Hub – page: investing niche, locations
- Funding round -page: funding rounds of a startup
They also have Event -page, but didn’t rank well.
Crunchbase’s Structural SEO on the entity level
When I said “entity”, i meant Organization, Hub.
Let’s take a startup called Databox to “de-construct” the Organization page’s structure’s success.
Once you clicked on the link, you’d see that the SAME company has 5 URLs for each aspect of this company. They all start with https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/….
- Summary-page: /databox/ –> Page title: Databox – Company profile & Funding
- Financials-page: /databox/company_financials/ –> Page title: Databox – Funding, Financials, Valuation & Investors
- People-page: /databox/people/ –> Page title: Databox – Employee, Board members, Advisors & Alumni
- Technology-page: /databox/technology/ –> Page title: Databox – Tech Stack, Apps, Patent & Trademarks
- Signals-page: /databox/signals_and_news/ –> Page title: Databox – Updates, News, Events, Signals & Triggers
Crunchbase’s Structural SEO on the aspect level (startup profiles)
Why this page can rank well for “Databox evaluation”, “Databox funding”, “Databox financials”, and “Databox investors”?
Well, aside from a high domain authority, it has an SEO-friendly page structure.
You can’t have a good structural SEO if you don’t build an SEO-friendly page structure. Let’s take the Financials-page: /databox/company_financials/ :
- Static URL
- Keywords in page title, headings, and paragraphs
- 4 blocks of content to make this page super informative: Highlights, Funding, Funding Rounds, Investors
- Built-in internal links
Willie Jiang is the founder of SolarFeeds and SEO growth hacker. He currently resides in Toronto, Canada.